Aakif Ahmad, Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer of the Convergence Center for Policy Resolution, with Cindy D., LWVS Program Chairman, at the October 17 LWVS Food for Thought Luncheon
- Are you smarter than a 7th grader? The LWVS is bringing a fun and educational Presidential Pursuit trivia game to the 7th grade social studies classes in Scarsdale on October 28th, 29th, 30th and Nov 3rd. Kids will divide into teams and test their knowledge of current events, presidential history, the U.S. government, the election process and the candidates. We are looking for volunteers to help facilitate the game (don't worry, adults will have the answer cards)! To volunteer, please contact Pam Rubin at PresidentialPursuit@lwvs.org.
- On Monday, November 17, 2014, at 10:30 AM, the LWVS will hold a general membership meeting at Scarsdale Village Hall, third floor, to discuss the proposed Scarsdale Schools $18.12M bond referendum. The community will be asked to vote on December 11, 2014 to authorize the Board of Education to borrow not more than $18.12M to construct improvements and alterations to the District's buildings. The general membership meeting is open to the public. A consensus meeting will be held immediately thereafter, at which League members will come to consensus on whether the League supports the bond proposition approved by the School Board at its Board meeting on October 6th. Only League members may participate in the consensus discussion. For more information, please contact Mary Beth Evans, firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here for voting information on the Bond Proposition.
- 2014 Voters Guide Correction-Two Family Court Justice Seats: There is an error on page 33 of the Westchester County League of Women Voters 2014 Voters Guide. For the November 2014 elections, there are two Family Court seats up for election, not one. The Voters Guide states that you should choose one of the candidates for Family Court Justice. This is an error. It should read Candidates (choose 2). This error has been corrected on Vote411.org. We apologize for any confusion. If you have any questions, please contact Linda Doucette-Ashman, Voter Service Chair, Scarsdale League of Women Voters at VoterService@lwvs.org.
- Ballot Proposal 1 regarding Redistricting: Proposal 1 on the ballot on Election Day proposes to amend the State Constitution to reform the process by which congressional and state legislative district lines are drawn. The New York State League of Women has undertaken, together with the Citizens Union, a campaign to pass Proposal 1. For more information, including a video prepared by the LWVNYS/Citizens Union coalition, please go to the New York State LWV website, the Vote Yes website and watch this video.
- Join the LWVS and make a positive difference in our community. To learn more about the many benefits of joining LWVS, please click here or press the red button below. You can join or renew your membership through PayPal or by check. To learn about donating to LWVS click here. The League thrives on your support!
"Victory Postponed. Regular Meeting Next Thursday"...read the interesting story of Scarsdale's Suffragists